Monday 12 August 2013

Paterson Cemetery

Last Friday, on the spur of the moment, I decided to take a drive to Paterson near Maitland.
The perfect warm winter's day made for a very pleasant journey and the valley is looking green and lush. Paterson is about an hour trip out of Newcastle and I wanted to visit the cemetery at St Paul's which sits close to the township's main corner.
A story in the local paper told of the need for a working bee to clean up and help save the deteriorating cemetery at the back.It was planned for the next day and I could not get there because of previous engagements.
When I arrived I firstly took a quick look inside the church and then headed out the back to walk through the site.
Gosh, were would you begin!
Not overly big but needing lots of work to clean this place  - I just hoped that there were some bodies who would turn up to lend a helping hand.
I am planning to head out again shortly to see what has been done.
It would be a shame for this last place of rest for our pioneer settlers to become just a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment